Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Self-Portrait(s)

For today's prompt of self-portrait, the forces of the universe shifted directions, aligned, and gave me two great opportunities.

I was walking down the hall at the AMEDD Center and School and ran into one of my old soldiers, WO1 Carlos Rivera.  We last saw each other in 2003.  Seeing him was a real treat as he was one of my best soldiers, we won Soldier and NCO of the Year at Ft. Belvoir right before I got out.  Great to see that he went on to become a sergeant first class and is now a brand new warrant officer.  He looks pretty much the same.





Another cool story.  This is CW3 Jonathan Richardson.  I met him on June 28th, 1995, the day that I drove up to Portland, went to the Military Entrance Processing Station, and raised my hand to enlist.  The staff sergeant that was working with me introduced me to Jonathan.  It turns out that he had also signed up to be a 91A (Medical Equipment Repairman).  We sat next to each other on the plane to Missouri, attended Basic Training together at Ft. Leonard Wood, and attended tech school at Fitzsimons Army Medical Center together.  After that, our paths diverged, and I didn't see him again until a few years ago at the 2012 AAMI Conference.  I bumped into him again today!  He's teaching the class that my other friend, Carlos, is now in.  The old guard Chief Warrant Officer teaching the new guard, the "wobbly ones."  We went to lunch and I snapped a pic.




You have to love the AMEDD Center and School.  It's a small world.  Sometimes the Army makes it even smaller.




That's me in the front right.  That's Jonathan in the 2nd row, second from the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment