Friday, February 28, 2014

What I Wore

Alabama Sweatshirt

My family has always loved watching sports.  Some of my fondest memories growing up were related to going to games with my dad, mom, and sisters. We were able to go to many baseball, football, soccer, and basketball games, but I always tended to favor going to college football games.

In the fall of 2009, we were able to visit my sister in Alabama. I had always wanted to see a University of Alabama football game, especially since my sister was an alumnus there. The weekend of our visit, we were planning to go to a game. However, this was one year that the team was undefeated and in contention for a national title. Additionally, this particular weekend Alabama was scheduled to play LSU, an in conference rival. We travelled on-campus to Tuscaloosa in the hopes of buying tickets on the day of the game, but of course the game was sold out.

Just as we were about to leave the heart of campus to watch the game at a restaurant, my dad revealed two tickets for my boyfriend and I to go see the game.  In addition, he had purchased an Alabama sweatshirt for me, which I still cherish to this day. The game was by far the best college football game I have ever been to, and the experience was something I will never forget. Alabama won the game, and ended up winning the national championship that same year.

I wore the Alabama sweatshirt for the game, and still wear it on game day even when I am just watching Alabama play on TV. It is such a prized possession for me because it reminds me of my dad's generous gift to me and this unforgettable experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen! Love the narrative. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, and welcome to the blog. Although I'm not a fan of 'bama, I wish I'd been at that game.

    ReplyDelete