Friday, February 28, 2014

What I Wore

This isn't the most original interpretation of the "What I Wore" theme, but I chose to post it anyway because, like Doug, the words triggered such direct memories of my military time, eight years of wearing the uniform.

I always talk about what a profound effect joining the military had on me, and so I decided to just go with what felt natural on this one.

The role of uniforms can be so crucial to creating/shaping identity, building teams, and managing perceptions.  The military has always capitalized on this perhaps more than any other field.

I suppose the challenge for today's Army is creating an environment that continues to rely on notions of standardization - standardized appearance, standardized processes and procedures, even standardized ways of speaking -- while at the same time fostering the freedom of its members to innovate, create, and think outside the box.                                                                                                                                                          



No comments:

Post a Comment